Student & Parent 

Questions & Answers

 1.   How do I start preparing for college?

Meet with your counselor to discuss your academic goals. There are high school requirements such as academic courses, College Entrance Exams, and GPA that must be fulfilled before being admitted to a university.   Courses such as math, English, science, social science, political science, and art are required for admissions to a university and students are expected to complete several years of each course with above average grades.   Consider meeting with your high school counselor to help you with the course requirements and admissions requirements.  If you need a general guide in preparation for college, you can link to our check-off list form here. 

2.  What is the difference between a state university, private university, and college?

State and private universities offer four year degree programs and graduate level degree programs.   You can receive a Bachelor of Arts degree, a Master’s Degree, a credential, and a Doctorate Degree through some of these universities.   State universities are affiliated with the State government and normally have a main office that controls state universities throughout the state.  In addition, state universities are less expensive than private universities.  If you want to explore universities, you can view our link here.  If you can’t find a university or college you want, you can also link to the following search site.


A local community college is a two year institution where you can obtain an Associate of Arts degree and/or certificates.  Community Colleges are much less expensive than universities. In addition, to transfer to a university, you can fulfill the lower division requirements such as English, math, science, history, political science, & art to help you transfer to a university.  A college transfer counselor can guide you through the transfer process and help you fulfill the proper courses and requirements.

 3.  How do I know where to apply?

You can meet with your school counselor and discuss how you can apply to the university of your preference.  In addition, you can go directly to the university and apply at their site or see if you can request a hard copy from your counselor.  To view universities and information, go to the university link at our site.  If you are unable to locate a university or college, you can link to the search site.


4.  What deadlines should I be aware of? 

There are several major deadlines each year.  For instance, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is due every March 1 of every year.  Also, SAT, ACT, & AP tests have to be completed during the first three to three and a half years the student is in high school.  In addition, there are study guides and courses a student can use to practice the latter tests. Another important deadline includes the admissions application deadline to the universities, which normally runs from August to November.  To view different deadlines, you can go to our links located at your high school resources site.  On the right column, you’ll find links to tests, universities, scholarships, and other sites.